Wednesday, June 28, 2006

What is the most important thing your dad ever taught you?

Asked at ask.Metfilter.  Here are some of the responses:

  • Three sheets, wipe, fold, and wipe again.
  • If anyone ever refers to you as a "bad drunk" stop drinking immediately and never have another.
  • Follow your dreams.  (I saw what happened to him as a result of not following his).
  • If you make a mistake, don't dwell on it - there's nothing that can be done to undo it, so learn from it and (hopefully) what you've learned will keep it from happening again.
  •  When I went off to college he advised me, "Don't knock anybody up." That's good advice too.
  •  Asking for help doesn't show weakness; it shows trust.
  •  Laugh at yourself. We are all ridiculous.
  • My parents taught me by bad example that reading up on a major purchase is smarter than just listening to the salesman's advice.
  • If you're going to do something stupid, don't get caught. But try not to do anything stupid.
  • Treat everyone with respect until they demonstrate they don't deserve respect.
  • If you can't turn around and effectively argue the other side's position, either you don't understand the argument or it's not worth arguing about.
  • Be curious, and always keep learning.
  • There's never a reason to lose your temper.
  •  Lefty loosey, righty tighty.
  •  What I had, I gave. What I kept is lost forever. Give 100%.
  • You don't have to follow any religion. But you have to respect every single one.
More. They go on and on.  A really good thread.
 

No comments: